Friday, December 5, 2008

Best Friend Friday

My Best Friend is awesome. And for the record, I use the term Best Friend, he does not. That’s fine with me, I know guys can get weird about labels. I just use the term to express the extent of our relationship to people. Sean is my husband; my partner in crime, my support system, my absolute #1 best friend in the world. But he already has a title. My ‘best friend’ is the person I’m closest to out of all the terrific people I am lucky enough to call my friends. It might sound cruel to have a hierarchy like that, but them’s the breaks. It’s not like I said “You! You are now at the top of the friend list.” There is a history there, most of which will never make it to this blog.

We’ve been friends for over 10 years now, and we’ve been there for milestones from getting our driver’s licenses to getting married. He’s a great person. Fun to be around, easy to talk to, intelligent, trustworthy…and he can put up with my shit almost as well as Sean. I love his wife; she and I have become good friends these past few years and I’m so thankful that she is accepting of me. She and I are often the only two women in the group when we’re hanging out, and it makes me happy just to be around her. I’m really lucky to have these people in my life… I don’t tell them as often as I’d like because I’m afraid of sounding mushy, or coming off as codependent or something… I don’t know! I try to show them as much as I can how much their friendship means to me, usually by giving them treats or packing some bowls. I like doing things for them because they’re always so appreciative and it makes me feel good.

To give you a little bit of background, BFF and I went to middle school together for one year but didn’t really talk until high school. We were both in band and our parents were involved in the boosters. We rode the same bus to school. His stop was much earlier than mine and on cold mornings he’d have the seat close to the heater, so when I started sitting next to him I got to reap the benefits. His birthday is the day after mine, which I’ve always thought was cool. For one thing I can always say I’m older than him but the best part is celebrating together. Only downside is we’re both Aries and we butt heads from time to time be we always manage to work it out. Senior year and some time after graduation we didn’t really talk, but I never stopped thinking about him. I’d hear a song that reminded me of him, or see his initials somewhere and wonder what he was up to. A couple times I just called him out of the blue. Probably looked like a stalker, too. lol

When we reconnected as adults, it started out as casual hanging out. Now I see him and his wife so often it’s weird when I don’t hear from them for a day. When they went on their honeymoon I was happy they were getting to take a vacation but I couldn’t wait for them to get back because I missed them! So as you can see, the bond has grown strong. I’ve heard that during your whole life you will only have a few true friends and I know they fit in that category. I don’t know what life would be like without BFF (or Mrs. BFF) and I have a feeling I never will. :)