Friday, November 21, 2008

Thanksgiving

Until I became a stoner, I never fully appreciated Thanksgiving. My mom never cooked a turkey because it was "too dry" but we had a ham and all the trimmings of a holiday meal. It just didn't hold any significant meaning to me. Then, November 2002, everything changed. It was before my dad and step-mom moved to Kansas, and they asked me to watch their house while they visited her sons for Thanksgiving. In return, they left me a little feast: A large rosted chicken, stuffing, mashed potatoes and a cranberry apple pie. All I had to do was warm it up in the oven and enjoy. I had just started smoking that summer, and decided to invite my stoney friends over to share in the bounty. It was an amazing day! Smoke, eat, smoke, eat...ahhh good times.

The following year, my husband and I were living in our first apartment together (without roomates) and I decided I was going to make us a turkey dinner. I enlisted the help of my SIL and the results were......AMAZING!!! I can't believe our first turkey came out so well! Once again, we smoked and ate to our hearts content and that was it for me. Thanksgiving became MY holiday. I will not go anywhere; my place on the last Thursday of November is in my kitchen, then on my couch. NO EXCEPTIONS! I've got T-day down to a science now. Weeks before the day, I print new copies of my recipes, make grocery lists, and make room in the freezer for the guest of honor: the turkey. I even write out a prep schedule to keep myself on track while I'm cooking and ensure nothing gets left out. It might seem a little stressful, but truth is it's a blast for me. I get to cook all day, smoke all day and then share the fruits of my labor with friends.

I never really know who's going to join us, but it doesn't matter. Anyone is welcome at my place on Thanksgiving. I haven't had the exact same group of people twice. I think any cook loves to hear their food is good, but I can't describe the pride I feel when someone who spent a Thanksgiving at my house recalls the day lovingly. Tsk, I'm getting all choked up thinking about it, what a sentimental fool I am!

One thing that makes a feast more than just a meal is the meaning behind the occasion. I loved attending Passover Sedars with my Jewish friends because the whole tradition and ritual surrounding the meal is so appealing to the foodie-philosopher in me. Thanksgiving is a celebration of the Pilgrims' first harvest in the new land. Think of all the things on your table this time of year: Pumpkin, potatoes, squash, corn...... Know what else is harvested the month before this glorious celebration? That's right. WEED! It's only fitting that it be part of the ritual on this day. Plus, who doesn't like to gorge themselves shamelessly when they're high?

I hope all of you out there in the blogosphere love Thanksgiving as much as I do, and I hope the things you are thankful for last forever. With that, I leave you with my 2008 Thanksgiving Menu:

Herb Roasted Turkey
Country Sage Dressing
Creamy Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Baked Sweet Yams
Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese
Classic Green Bean Casserole
Taffy Apple Salad
Sourdough Rolls
Pumpkin Cheesecake

1 comment:

Tanjint said...

whoah, i'm in the midst of a gang of homework and didn't read this whole blog yet but i saw a list of food and am asking if i'm invited.

-T