Friday, October 10, 2008

Why I blog

So, since I started posting back in August, I’ve been reading blogs of people who share similar interests (or share similar words in the interests section of their profile). I have come across several different styles of journaling, all very personal, full of raw emotion and obscure thought. The blogs that catch my attention share a central theme: The need to be understood and relate to others. At least that is how I feel; that’s why I started a blog. I keep coming across some incarnation of the same statement laced in people’s posts: “Nobody reads my blog (but I hope they do).” A good portion of the blogs I follow are fairly new; only a few months worth of entries at maybe two or three a month. Most people fill their page with random musings and rants, while some have a more melancholy “why are we here?” tone. I would say that almost all that I’ve read are an even mix of triviality and sincerity. Above all, they’re real.

How many times have you read someone’s blog and thought “I feel that exact same way”? Or you come across a post very similar to one of yours and they were written only days apart? I’ve laughed and cried over details of the lives of complete strangers and felt a connection to them, if only through their words. Sometimes I blush and get a little embarrassed because I feel like I’ve stumbled upon something that’s not meant for me to see! To me, blogging is a free form of therapy; a place to sound off without fear of repercussion. The semi-anonymity allows us to be open and honest and true to ourselves.

I haven’t written anything too personal here yet. I guess I’m just waiting for the right time. I have found a lot of deeply personal and some just plain hilarious blogs that I check every day! I try to leave comments on posts that interest me, or that I can relate to (there’s the theme again) but I’m kind of worried about coming off as a stalker! I just want to help promote free writing in the blogosphere. As mundane as some of you might find your own blogs, I guarantee there is someone out there who appreciates them. Someone who gets what you’re going through or has been there. Someone who shares the same interests, same philosophies or even the same name. Keep blogging, people! It is written proof that humanity is not lost. Oh, and HAPPY FRIDAY!

No comments: